Pages

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Review ~ Therapy by Kathryn Perez ~ JMAC

 
 
 
 
 
Synopsis
 
I’m needy.

I’m broken.

Cutting breaks through my numbness, but only opens more wounds.

Depression, self-harm, bullying....that's my reality.

Sex and guys....that's my escape.

The space between the truth and lies is blurred leaving me torn, lost and confused. And while the monsters that live in my head try to beat me-- the two men that I love try to save me.

This is my story of friendship, heartache, and the grueling journey that is mental-illness.

Sometimes you have to get lost in order to be found…
 
 
 
 
 
JMAC'S REVIEW
 
 
Even after 8 days I still don’t know how to start this review.  I like to say that I can take a little bit of something from each book with me after reading it.  Some books I read that I really enjoy, but as far as connecting with the books, a lot of times I don’t connect on a personal level .  Not that that makes the book bad, just some books I read for enjoyment, rather than finding a connection.  There have only been very few books that I’ve read, and connected with on a personal level.  Whether it was that I’ve been through what the characters were going through, or the feelings just reminded me of personal feelings I’ve had, there have only been a few that made me feel that way.  Therapy did that to me.  Therapy made me open my eyes to issues I’ve been hiding in my own life.  While it made me see my issues, Therapy most importantly made me want to be better in all ways.  Made me muster up the courage to not only want to help myself, but actually go forward with getting help.
 
Therapy was just such a beautifully, tragic, heartbreaking story.  Everything about this book was just so real.  The bullying in this book was just painful.  The story itself broke my heart on so many different levels.  Kathryn has a way with her words.  Almost poetic, but just beautiful.  Therapy was a book that will hold you captive until the very last word.  It deals with a lot of tortuous issues.  Between bullying, self-destruction, depression, just so many issues that would drive any person crazy. 

All of the characters in this book had a very important role.  I just loved everything about this book.  I think that everyone should experience this book.  The whole bully epidemic in my opinion isn’t spoken about enough.  I know from experience that bullying could really effect someone.  There are people who would literally kill themselves rather than deal with bullies, or be themselves.  They become a shell of who they really are. Therapy brings you into what really happens to someone when they are severely bullied. 

This was my first Kathryn Perez book, but it definitely won’t be my last.  I know this review was a jumbled mess, and it really doesn't give this amazing book enough justice, it's probably because I still can’t find the right words to express how I am feeling.  I also don’t want to ruin anything about the book, so I didn’t go into full detail.  What I will say is Therapy will forever hold a special place in my heart, it’s one of those books that will just always be apart of me. 

I recommend this book to everyone.  It was just such an amazing book to read.

 <3 JMAC


 
 





 
 
 
*Buy Links* 




 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment